St Denys Community Food Project aims to redistribute surplus food and help between 30 & 60 households each week. Food is available at 11.30 each Friday morning at St Denys Church. It’s more than physical health & food though, it’s also mental health and friendship. Many people come early for a chat and hot drinks are available 10.30 till 12.15. And it’s also about the health of the planet, as we try to prevent good food going to waste.
We’re run by the community for the community with a fantastic mix of volunteers led by Gavin Millar, Kayleigh Meeks and Marion Hitchins (and with background support from Rev Sera Rumble). We’re looking for helpers who can help with transport, distributing food, setting up and background admin.
The project is based at St Denys Church, and in the short-term the church is offering additional support until the project can establish independently as a CIC. We’re building on the great work of Feed the Community Project which is now focusing its energies in Woolston.
We believe it’s really important that food is free at the point-delivery, so there is never a charge made for food. A lot of the project’s vibrancy is based on the time, skills and resources given by individuals and organisations. There are some costs involved in running the project, such as contributing £100 a month to the food redistribution charity The Big Difference, which gives us access to between £1000 to £2000 worth of food. In order to cover the costs, we invite anyone who would like to help in this way, to give a donation to the project via GoFundMe – search St Denys Community Food Project.
We’re excited to see how this project will develop, and we invite you to get involved:
Ways to get involved:
- Come along on a Friday morning – we are a self-referral project so the food is available to anyone who wants it. And if you don’t want food, come and have a cuppa
- Donation to the Fundraising – we need an initial £1000 to cover costs for the first 6 months, and then about £150 a month after that. All contributions help. Follow this link or go to GoFundMe and search St Denys Community Food Project
- Volunteer to be on the Team – we need drivers, food distributors, admin skills, table movers and other people too. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to offer to help
Find out more:
- Donate- GoFundMe-St Denys Community Food Project
- Get In Touch- email@example.com
- Web page – stdenys.church/communityfood